[syslinux] Bootable Floppy w/ Networking & Shell?

Jason Gerfen jason.gerfen at scl.utah.edu
Wed Jan 18 10:53:57 PST 2006

I realize this is probably the wrong list but since some of the
principals this list deals with are similar in nature I figured it
could't hurt.

What I am looking to do:
Provide a solution to either boot from a floppy disk, establish a
network connection, give user the ability to run utilities such as fdisk
and dd. as well as provide the same solution as a PXE bootable image.

My question:
Does anyone on this list have a solution in place such as this, or
perhaps a method (the simpiler the better) to create a bootable floppy
with these three requirements?  I have been looking around and so far I
have found solutions which require me to build a stipped down kernel
with specific network card support, creating the filesystem and
installing the kernel and any utils I need.  Is there any solution
anyone knows of which is less cubersome?

TIA

--
Jason Gerfen

"The charge that he had insulted Turkey's armed forces was dropped, but he still faces  the charge that he insulted "Turkishness", lawyers said."
 ~ BBC News Article