[syslinux] USB-FDD

Nazo nazosan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 15:23:10 PST 2006

On 1/18/06, Adam Wysocki via ArcaBit <gophi at arcabit.pl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on making an USB flash disk bootable and have succeeded in
> booting Linux using syslinux from disk in USB-HDD mode. Is there a way
> to do it in USB-FDD mode, possibly also using syslinux as a bootloader?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> [ Adam Wysocki :: www.gophi.rotfl.pl :: +48889004440 ]
> [ Software Development Department, ArcaBit Sp. z o.o ]
> [ Ul. Fortuny 9 :: 01-339 Warszawa :: www.arcabit.pl ]

Why are you trying to do that?  I don't think it will work if USB-FDD
is supposed to mean the standard 1.44MB 2x drives that plug into usb.
Are you perhaps having problems with the drive not working in all
systems (especially since some dumb bios manufacturers don't even
bother to add usb-hdd support.)  If so, you might want to look at
using USB-ZIP instead.  There is some info in the syslinux archive
about doing this.  A tool is included in there to help with this.  The
basic idea is to repartition the flash drive so that it has the same
sort of geometry as a zip disk, fooling a dumb bios into thinking you
actually have a zip disk rather than a flash drive.