[syslinux] Bootable Floppy w/ Networking & Shell?

Gustavo Guillermo Pérez gustavo at compunauta.com
Thu Jan 19 09:38:02 PST 2006

El Miércoles, 18 de Enero de 2006 12:53, Jason Gerfen escribió:
> I realize this is probably the wrong list but since some of the
> principals this list deals with are similar in nature I figured it
> could't hurt.
>
> What I am looking to do:
> Provide a solution to either boot from a floppy disk, establish a
> network connection, give user the ability to run utilities such as fdisk
> and dd. as well as provide the same solution as a PXE bootable image.
On this list someone was published a PXE multiboot floppy.
You can use this floppy to load PXE stack for most compliant network cards.
Then, you can boot a small initrd and a big kernel with the most popular
network drives on there, switching with chroot on a NFS network folder, you
can have a big linux console running with less memory, (16MB or more).

You can use busybox if you wish, and if you like tellme the popular network
cards you own and I can build a demo floppy, that can establish a network
connection, and has not build the drivers, do some probes to load only the
ones, and uses a udhcpcd to set up the network card.

Then you can mount a NFS volume and do a chroot.

And of course you can use memdisk to emulate floppy boot trow the network,
with PXE.

--
Gustavo Guillermo Pérez
Compunauta uLinux