[syslinux] Newbie question: need assistance setting up a boot menu for linux dist + win98

Alon Solell alon at wsco.com
Mon Jan 23 07:01:02 PST 2006

Hi,

I want to Boot up from a USB Disk-On-Key, Pull up a menu of:

Start Fresh install of   WBEL 3.0
Start Fresh install of   WBEL 4.0
Start Fresh install of   CentOS 3.6
Start Fresh install of   CentOS 4.2
Load Win98 boot disk and end with command prompt.

My problem is that I'm a novice user (sounds nicer than a newbie :)) ) and
my experience with Linux was
vanilla installs with no actuall modifications for the install process.

I believe the process itself is fairly simple, as it only requires setting
up a boot menu and then run the
boot images of the distribution selected.
When I start the linux install, I choose "linux askmethod" and then being
prompted for the install method FTP, HTTP, CD or NFS Image.
I have no need for an auto install beyond that part.
All I need is to reach this screen, and I'll populate the values manually.
I just need a simple menu at the onset of the boot that will ask me:  "Which
flavour of linux do you want to install" and thereafter
the selected distribution will initiate the install process of the selected
distribution.

That's all I need to have,. and I'm stuck here!
This is just a simple boot menu configuration.. (I think),. isn't it, and
upon selection,. it just pull the install boot image of the
distribution selected.

VERY IMPORTANT:  This must be from a USB Disk On Key (I've booted from it before so
there is no hardware problems - all brand new hardware and it supports the boot from USB DiskOnKey)

Any pointers on this?

- Alon