[syslinux] PXEboot large image creation

Serge de Souza serge at cs.curtin.edu.au
Mon Jan 23 21:40:31 PST 2006

Hi,

I am trying to create an image that is larger than 1.44MB to be used
with PXE boot (Ghost 8 requires 2 floppys). My current attempts result
in the boot hanging at :

Starting...

My config just says the following:
default memdisk
append initrd=smalldos.img

I created the image following
http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2005-August/005573.html (I am unsure
if these instructions are correct) starting from a usb disk image. The
usb disk works fine when used to boot the machine.

-dd of the usb drive and using the resulting image does not work.

- dd if=/dev/zero of=smalldos.img bs=1024 count=2880
mkdosfs smalldos.img
ms-sys -f -6 smalldos.img
mount -o loop smalldos.img /mnt

cp /media/usbdisk/* /mnt

then using smalldos.img to boot via pxeboot does not work either.

Can anyone suggest the proper way to get this working ?  All I want is a
pxeboot image that will start ghost8.

Thanks

*   Serge de Souza - Systems Administrator  *
*   Curtin University of Technology         *
*   Department of Computing                 *
*   Tel: +61 8 9266 2986                    *