[syslinux] boot bootcd (isolinux) copied on the hard disk

Maxime GRYL ya.paecri at laposte.net
Sat Jan 28 07:50:36 PST 2006

Hi,
I try to boot some bootcd copy on the hard drive.

I read (an try) that it's impossible to boot a cdrom .ISO image . ok
So now I "unzip" the .iso into a folder (not a partition ! Because I
have lot of .iso),
and convert the entry from the isolinux.cfg to a valid grub entry (put
in my menu.lst).

The iso come from a bootable cd with isolinux.
I will make a script for the translation isolinux.cfg / menu.lst, but I
think it's a bad solution.
I'm not sure that it's will compatible for all configuration file and it
may have problems if there is futur update in isolinux.
And I loose all the helps messages etc.

I'm seeking about solving 2 solutions :
-Using a bootloader who could launch isolinux from a file/folder.
    ->Could you tell me if I can do this ? (with EXTLINUX ?)

-Using a bootloader who are using the same config file than isolinux, to
don't have to translate.
    ->I think to install ISOLINUX on the hard disk, but seems
impossible, Could you tell me if I can use EXTLINUX to do this easyly ?
    ->Or better : link an entry from a first configfile (menu) to the
config files of the bootcd (in the disk)

If somebody has another solution you can tell me ;-)
Thanks a lot.