[syslinux] PXELinux sporadic hangs searching for config file

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sun Jan 29 11:17:43 PST 2006

Joe Mroczek wrote:

> Ethereal shows the last NAK going across the wire. We has Intel come in and
> look for issues within their boot agent and were able to trace the NAK all
> the way up to pxelinux. Further they could not find any sign of corruption
> of the PXE structure and the RX and TX routines in boot agent were still
> running. For some reason pxelinux was still calling the RX routine as if it
> was still expecting something.
>
> Any clues on how to either debug the root issue, or at least get PXELinux to
> retry the failed transaction?

You've ended up at the command prompt, and pxelinux calls the receive
routine so that the PXE stack can respond to ARP.  The real question is
why your server returns file not found.

However, it has been discussed that the default syslinux behaviour
(command prompt) may not be appropriate for pxelinux.