[syslinux] using pxelinux for booting of a any local disk

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Jan 30 20:04:12 PST 2006

san rad wrote:

> (sorry I hit send on the last email by mistake before completing the email,
> please ignore it)
>

> So I got a few things to work for using chain.c32 to boot off any disk
>  But have some questions that may help me clarify a few  things:
>
> Experiment 1
>   a)  Installed windows 98 on a disk (disk 1)
>   b) Copied the disk to a second disk (disk 2) using disk-to-disk copy
>   c) Booted each of them locally (by modifying bios boot seq) and created
>      a file on each disk so I could distinguish them
>
> When I tried to use chain.c32 to boot from hd0 or hd1 it ALWAYS booted from
> the first disk (hd0). I think the reason is that because when I copied the
> disk,
> the MBR on the first disk got copied and it points to HD0 (a guess on my
> part here- I originaly thought MBRs can only point to a partition on the
> disk on which the MBR lives).

Yes, MBRs can only point to a partition on the same disk.

chain.c32 can boot from any disk or partition -- e.g. "chain.c32 hd1 2"
will boot from partition 2 on hard disk 1 (Linux would call this hdb2).
  However, not all operating systems can boot correctly from anything
but the first hard disk or the first floppy disk.  Windows 98 might
belong in that category, I don't know.