[syslinux] Problems booting on Intel i9x5 motherboards.

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Jun 2 10:22:07 PDT 2006

Pat Suwalski wrote:

> This also occurred to me and seems most likely. To test the booting
> method a little more, I'm experimenting with using the execute()
> function of menu.c and replaced it with the function from libmenu (sets
> EAX to 0003 instead of 0016, not sure what that is). Anyway, I still get
> the same results, which further pushes the theory that something is left
> over in memory.

It can't just be "left over" in memory, but something has to have been
actually *corrupt* in a way that the kernel can't avoid stumbling over it.

That all points towards a BIOS issue.  Those are painfully hard to
debug, usually, and simulators don't help... I have at least once had
one that stumped me until I had an opportunity to use an ICE on the system.

> This is where it gets really interesting. I start menu.c32, exit
> menu.c32, start simple.c32, it works. However, I try my boot option in
> simple.c32 and it fails just as menu.c32 directly. menu.c32 is
> definitely leaving something around.

What if you boot it directly from simple.c32?  Does it work then?

>> * Alternately you can start inserting print statements in the menu.c32
>> code to try to find what is going on.
>> BTW, can VMWare/Bochs/... emulate i9x5 motherboards? Then we can try
>> to see if it i9x5 is the problem or just that you got a bad batch of
>> machines.
>
> Yeah, I use QEmu a lot. It doesn't get affected by this, and it even
> works on the machines that have problems natively. VMWare seems to often
> exhibit the problems that the host machine has, though. Regardless, I
> have about a dozen i9x5's that work just fine with all this.

So it's not even just i9x5... it's something specific to one machine.
Any thing characteristic, e.g. BIOS, expansion cards?