[syslinux] Problems booting on Intel i9x5 motherboards.

ganapathy murali krishnan gmurali at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Jun 2 11:03:09 PDT 2006

Pat Suwalski wrote:

> This is where it gets really interesting. I start menu.c32, exit
> menu.c32, start simple.c32, it works. However, I try my boot option in
> simple.c32 and it fails just as menu.c32 directly. menu.c32 is
> definitely leaving something around.

Now that we are getting somewhere, you can start with menu.c32 which
break and start inserting "exit" statements during the initialization
process

1. Exit as soon as it loads
2. Exit just before it parses the config file (after reading it)
3. Exit just after it parses the config file
4. Exit just before it starts displaying the menu
5. Exit as soon as it displays the menu before waiting for user input
6. Run menu.c32 hit escape to exit

For each exit choice, run menu.c32 (are it should come back to the
prompt) and then run the kernel from the command line.  We now know that
we have problems after stage 6. Narrowing down the exact stage which
causes the problem will make bug finding easier.
You get the idea: adding exit statements in the code to narrow down
which portion of the code causes the corruption.

It might be a good idea to start with the version of menu.c32 which has
the smallest amount of code, so there will be less code to deal with.

- Murali