[syslinux] Problems booting on Intel i9x5 motherboards.

Pat Suwalski pat at suwalski.net
Fri Jun 2 11:22:54 PDT 2006

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> This is where it gets really interesting. I start menu.c32, exit
>> menu.c32, start simple.c32, it works. However, I try my boot option in
>> simple.c32 and it fails just as menu.c32 directly. menu.c32 is
>> definitely leaving something around.
>
> What if you boot it directly from simple.c32?  Does it work then?

Directly in simple (with my entry added), it works. It also works
directly from the boot: line.

> So it's not even just i9x5... it's something specific to one machine.
> Any thing characteristic, e.g. BIOS, expansion cards?

Except that I have at least 80 variants of machines here. Our hardware
department intentionally makes certain each motherboard is as different
as possible.

The systems in question and both recent Intel. Here are the general specs:

Generic i915
Intel P4 2.66
1 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 6200
SiI 3114 SATA
Intel HDAudio

Dell Dimension E510
Intel P4 3.2 EM64T
1 GB RAM
Intel Video i945 G/G2
ICH7 SATA
Intel HDAudio
ATI TV Tuner

So, it's interesting because they are both Intel systems, both 9x5. One
is ICH6 and the other is ICH7. Otherwise fairly different hardware.
Incidentally, likely drastically different BIOS, since Dell always uses
their own stuff.

--Pat