[syslinux] Problems booting on Intel i9x5 motherboards.

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Jun 2 11:25:07 PDT 2006

Pat Suwalski wrote:

> The systems in question and both recent Intel. Here are the general specs:
>
> Generic i915
> Intel P4 2.66
> 1 GB RAM
> nVidia GeForce 6200
> SiI 3114 SATA
> Intel HDAudio
>
> Dell Dimension E510
> Intel P4 3.2 EM64T
> 1 GB RAM
> Intel Video i945 G/G2
> ICH7 SATA
> Intel HDAudio
> ATI TV Tuner
>
> So, it's interesting because they are both Intel systems, both 9x5.

Not really.  It's actually rather uninteresting, since it's most likely incidental.

> One  is ICH6 and the other is ICH7. Otherwise fairly different hardware.
> Incidentally, likely drastically different BIOS, since Dell always uses
> their own stuff.

Well, the BIOS is the most likely culprit, so it's the one I'm most interested in.

Also, I don't believe Dell makes anything of their own.  It's a glorified logistics
company.  They may put their logo on it, but someone else made the guts.