[syslinux] Problems booting on Intel i9x5 motherboards.

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Jun 2 13:26:23 PDT 2006

Pat Suwalski wrote:
> It's turning out to be a very fun afternoon!

Debugging bootloaders is so much fun :)

> ganapathy murali krishnan wrote:
>> 1. Exit as soon as it loads
>> 2. Exit just before it parses the config file (after reading it)
>> 3. Exit just after it parses the config file
>
> Bam. Right here.
>
>> 4. Exit just before it starts displaying the menu
>> 5. Exit as soon as it displays the menu before waiting for user input
>> 6. Run menu.c32 hit escape to exit
>
> So, my instincts told me it's something about reading the file. As a
> test, I loaded up cat.c32:
>
>     cat.c32 "isolinux.cfg"
>     /boot/vmlinuz vga=ask
>
> Error ensues.
>
> I would say it's a problem with the file io operations in com32, maybe?

The double quotes are going to be considered part of the filename, so you probably don't
want to have those in there...

Anyway, IN-teresting.  I presume you're using the latest prerelase (3.20-pre9) for all
this.  One thing that the file access and booting both require the use of the bounce
buffer, so if the kernel-loading routine does something bogus when there is previous
contents in the bounce buffer, we could have a real problem.

Explaining the system dependency gets messy, though.