[syslinux] Boot sector rebooting

Egan Ford egan at sense.net
Wed Jun 7 07:14:40 PDT 2006

Is there something that I can put on a drive's boot sector so that when
booted it just reboots, and that its partition information is also intact?

My application need is stateless computing.  The OS loads over the network
with the help of pxelinux.0, but when 1000s of nodes reboot in parallel a
few fail to boot.  When PXE fails it boots the next device--in most cases
this is the local HD.  I'd like to put on the local HD code that when booted
forces a reboot, but I need the partitioning information intact.  The
systems are stateless, not diskless.  The local disk is used for swap and
scratch space.

Thanks.