[syslinux] chain.c32 booting windows off a second disk?

Jeff Sadowski jeff_sadowski at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 30 08:47:20 PDT 2006

I was seeing if I could use chain.c32 to boot windows
off of a second drive. I'm pretty sure I'm using it
right. Could it be because these are sata drives?

I installed  FC5 on a second sata drive I had in my
new machine. Of course Grub didn't work as I wanted so
I decided to try extlinux and if I can get it to work
I might switch to syslinux so that I can edit the boot
info in windows as well. Anyways I have entries like
so

#start of extlinux.conf
default linux
prompt 1
timeout 40

label linux
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.img ro
root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 vga=773
psmouse.proto=synaptics i8042.nomux

label memdisk
kernel memdisk
append initrd=memdisk.img

label windows
kernel chain.c32
append hd0 0
#end of extlinux.conf

linux boots just fine and so does the memory checker
but windows doesn't boot from extlinux

windows is on the first partition of the first sata
drive, under linux it shows as /dev/sda1

would I use sd0? but that didn't seem to work either
I tried many combinations to chain.c32 I tried
hd0
sd0
sd0 0
I even tried other partitions
hd0 1
hd1 1
Nothing seemed to do anything with partitions that
didn't exist it seemed to start loading and stall
and with the others it would return me to the syslinux
command prompt.

Well if there is a solution or some more things I can
try I'd like to give it a shot.