[syslinux] Samples files for comboot and default

Nazo nazosan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 08:26:46 PST 2006

On 3/2/06, Murali Krishnan Ganapathy <gmurali at cs.uchicago.edu> wrote:
> Geert Stappers wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 11:07:10PM +0100, Kenneth Vandbæk wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> > Hello,
> >

> >> Does subject exist?
> >> Is it possible to get MAC address, video card, RAM
> >> and the storage of a harddrive by using comboot?
> >>

> > AFAIK has it never been done before,
> > so you could be the first one who accomplies it ...
> >
> > But why in comboot?
> >
> It one can find this info at COMBOOT level, then one can do some nice
> things. E.g. if there is more than 4GB of memory, then call the linux
> kernel compiled for 4GB+ memory. But I dont know about video card since
> they can be done after one has booted into the kernel (before X comes up).
> >

> >> And can some one help me?
> >>

> > My advice is to use syslinux as a bootloader
> > and a small Linux for reporting the hardware.
> >

> >> /Kenneth
> >>

> > I hope that this E-mail does help.
> > Geert Stappers

Actually, I can say that some drivers like to run compiled into the
kernel, and it could be handy to select a kernel with the correct
stuff built in.

I'd say that it's probably technically possible to do hardware
detection via a COM module, but, just not viable.  It would require a
huge ultra-complex module that does things similar to the way a linux
kernel detects hardware info, which I believe largely comes from
the whole (eg you must support the MB chipset before trying to get any
kind of direct connection to the video card I suppose.)