[syslinux] Re: Install Red Hat AS 4 from iLO on a HP DL380?

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Fri Mar 10 08:41:37 PST 2006

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Herta Van den Eynde wrote:

> I'm trying to install Red Hat Advanced Server AS 4 on a HP Proliant DL380G4.
> Unlike e.g. the DL360, the DL380 does not have the option to set the OS in the
> BIOS.
> As soon as the installation starts, i.e. even before you get to the point
> where you can enter "boot" and whatever boot options you want to use, the
> server switches to graphics mode, meaning I cannot access it from basic iLO.
> Is there a way to overcome this?

Red Hat is using the 'display' directive in the syslinux config-file
(isolinux/isolinux.cfg) and provides a splash screen that enables graphics
mode (when this is supported).

See also: http://syslinux.zytor.com/faq.php

I see no other option to disable this splash-screen, other than somehow
let the BIOS advertise only text-mode is supported.

If this is not possible, you might want to investigate into PXE
booting, or providing your own (custom) ISO image or floppy image without
this splash-screen.

I think it is a valid question to raise why text-mode is not the default,
as we have the same problem :) (and most remote consoles either are
text-based or require a stupid and slow java-interface)

I included the syslinux mailinglist to confirm there is no other way to
disable the graphical boot, other than changing the syslinux config.

Kind regards,