[syslinux] Re: mboot.c32, weird e820 map on HP blade machine, possible memory corruption

Tim Deegan Tim.Deegan at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 15 02:01:19 PST 2006

> Ok cool. I dont see the memset change in your link for the patch.

Oops!  Forgot to push it to the right place; apologies.  Fixed.

The rest of this bug is confusing me.  I'm pretty busy right now but
I'll hopefully have some time next week to look at it properly.  Did you
say the memory map is wrong only on the debug build or always?

> From grub, the correct data is supposed to be:
>
> 0x0 - 0x9e
> 0x9f400 - 0xa0000
> 0xf0000 - 0x100000
> 0x100 - 0x1fff9
> 0x1fffa000 - 0x20000000
> 0xfec00000 - 0xfec10000
> 0xfee00000 - 0xfee10000
> 0xffc00000 - 0x100000000

That's a pretty strange memory map.  What are the memory types for those
ranges?  I've never worked with blades so maybe I'm missing something,
but if there's no memory at 1MB, how does the com32 module work at all?

If Linux boots on this machine, can you grab the BIOS-e820 lines from
dmesg()?

Tim.

--
Tim Deegan                           (My opinions, not the University's)
Systems Research Group