[syslinux] Syslinux keyboard mappings

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Mar 23 11:24:24 PST 2006

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, Dag Wieers wrote:

> > But the general problem is this, BIOSes are US qwerty, Belgium uses
> > be-latin1 (azerty with lots of custom keys). And to complicate the matter,
> > we're often logged on to Citrix and into some sort of remote java gui
> > console.
> >
> > All of these complicate the issue (or at least do not improve it).
> >
> > Now, somehow I hoped the solution would be fairly simple. Take the us.map,
> > take the be-latin1.map, create a be_latin.ktl out of it by running:
> >
> > 	/usr/lib/syslinux/keytab-lilo.pl us.map be-latin1.map >be_latin1.ktl
>
> Renaming this file from be_latin1.ktl to be.ktl fixed the issue (at least
> now the file is being used and some of the keys map correctly).
>
> Bbut the numbers (pressed starting from 1 to 9 and 0 holding the SHIFT, as
> is required with azerty) map to this:
>
> 	!@#$%§^&*()
>
> While pressing the same row without SHIFT results in the correct
> characters:
>
> 	&é"'(§è!çà)-
>
> At least the ones that us qwerty doesn't have are printing another symbol,
> but that's fine. Fact is now that the numbers (when pressing SHIFT) are
> not returning numbers. Effectively blocking us from typing numbers :)
>
> Also the uppercase characters (pressing AZQW with SHIFT) are also not
> mapped properly.
>
> So I conclude that the mappings do not have any effect when you press
> SHIFT. (Which disables the use of numbers on Belgian keyboards when
> using kbdmap).
>
> Can this be verified in the code ?

"Of course not.", he answered to himself.

The problem is in the keytab-lilo.pl script. The output it generates is
missing the correct mappings when the shift-key is pressed.

I have been entering them in a hex editor and constructed the following
file for a be-latin1 keyboard. (1 key I mapped differently because we
would lack the ~ sign)

And now everything works as expected. If someone competent can fix this
(the keytab-lilo code looks a bit ugly to me) I'd appreciate it.
You can use the supplied be.ktl file to verify if the new output matches
this file for be-latin1.map

Maybe something for the syslinux TODO so someone can find it there ?

That said, the keys that require the ALT key do not seem to generate a
scancode and therefor cannot be produced.

Kind regards,