[syslinux] Problems booting from cd

Ian Leonard ian at smallworld.cx
Thu May 4 07:39:13 PDT 2006

Arwin Vosselman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 2 May 2006 16:11:33 -0500, Nazo wrote:
>
>> By the way, just so we get this question out of the way, have you
>> tested different media?  This is a problem mainly with DVDs since
>> today's burners still have considerably less burn quality than seems
>> reasonable (especially the cheap ones, but, even some of the expensive
>> ones really aren't as high quality as the price tag implies.
>
> A good rule of thumb hereto seems to be, never to burn at a higher
> speed than half of the max. speed of the drive or of the rawling,
> whichever figure is smaller.
>
> Example:
>  drive: max. 48x
>  rawling: max. 24x
>  burn at 12x

Okay, thanks for that. I have actually already tried burning at x4. I
have also tried 3 different writers. Nothing helps.

Currently I have one cd that will boot on 2 out of 7 machines. There is
a mixture of motherboards, but these are machines that we use all the
time and I haven't had any problems before.

I have also tried yet more makes of cd (I think that's 6 types now).

This is driving me insane.

--
Ian Leonard

Please ignore spelling and punctuation - I did.