[syslinux] Re: SYSLINUX Digest, Vol 38, Issue 13

Tim Deegan Tim.Deegan at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu May 18 02:19:17 PDT 2006

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 12:01:43PM -0700, syslinux-request at zytor.com wrote:
> From: "Lin Salisbury" <lin.salisbury at gmail.com>
> Subject: [syslinux] mboot hangs at MPI
>
> Where initrd.img is my own custom initrd that I've built to do some
> pre-setup before booting to the real root on sda1.  The problem is that
> everytime I try and boot I get to this line and it just hangs:
>
> Booting: MBI=0x00010120, entry=0x00100000

Usually this is a symptom of Xen having the wrong idea about where to
send the console output.  Does adding 'console=vga' to the xen
command-line help (assuming you're not using a serial console)?  Did you
build your own Xen kernel or are you using the binaries from XenSource?

I've had another report of this behaviour today, also on Dell hardware
(PowerEdge 1750 and desktop), so it might well be a bug in mboot.c.
If you can send me the kernels and configuration files you're using,
I'll try to reproduce the problem here.

> I found references to this problem in the archives
> (http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2006-March/006654.html )
> and made sure that the memset of the regs_in was happening, and that is
> being done in 3.20-pre8 (hence the reason I'm even using it).  I found some
> references to using particular versions of gcc, I'm currently using
> 3.4.4could this be a potential issue?

Shouldn't be; I've built mboot.c32 with that version of GCC before.

Cheers,

Tim.

--
Tim Deegan                           (My opinions, not the University's)
Systems Research Group