[syslinux] pxelinux and startrom.com

Ardill, Robert (DTEI) robert.ardill at saugov.sa.gov.au
Thu May 18 16:41:18 PDT 2006

Chris,

There's two destinct ways to load WinPE. You need to decide which one to
use.

1) Via RIS/BINLSVC/TFTPD or a clone.

Is significantly more complicated, but has lower overheads (boots
faster) and does offer the ability to load different WinPE images
without patching the startrom.com and ntldr files to load a different
winnt.sif. There are various quirks with RIS that may pose a challenge,
specifically network support is crippled. Ie DNS resolver doesn't not
work by standard and the inf parser deviated from the stardard, but
there are work arounds. For instance vendor NIC inf files are different
under RIS. Both Broadcom and Intel now have special inf files for RIS.
It can be a real PITA to get a RIS image working with wide NIC support,
especially with the Intel Pro 100 VM/VE adaptors.

2) Use a RAM Disk image, either in ISO (RO ramdisk) or SDI (RW ramdisk)

Is slower to load, but offer better Networking and runs faster. You can
also have a WinPE image without network support under 70MB.

Option 2 requires using the Win2003 SP1 ramdisk.inf, ramdisk.sys,
ntldr(setupldr.exe), ntdetect.com and startrom.com(.0) for the Base
WinPE build. If you want to load multiple images then you need to patch
startrom and ntdlr to point to different winnt.sif for each WinPE image
you want to load from a pxelinux menu.

I use option 2 as it's simpler and I don't have to worry about specific
RIS/RAMDISK difference for WinPE boot images. I can just burn the same
RAMDISK ISO images to CD if a PC doesn't have PXE support, or not enough
RAM.

Rob