[syslinux] Re: pxelinux cmdline preparation for klibc kinit

Jim Cromie jim.cromie at gmail.com
Fri May 19 09:06:17 PDT 2006

Jim Cromie wrote:

> I think this qualifies as a bug; its not what folks expect.
> A docpatch WITH LARGE LETTERS would rectify it, if you want to
> preserve this behavior.

let me temper that ..

I just tested a non-klibc kernel with extra spaces in APPEND, all went
smoothly,
so from that perspective, its kinit which is too sensitive, and pxelinux
is (maybe) doing
the correct-minimum thing, and passing the string thru without otherwize
touching it.

I also just tested this (note the panic=15 on KERNEL spec)

LABEL   D 2.6.17-rc3-mm1-addhrt-sk
  MENU LABEL    ^d.  2.6.17-rc3-mm1-addhrt-sk
  KERNEL        vmlinuz-2.6.17-rc3-mm1-addhrt-sk panic=15
  APPEND        console=ttyS0,115200n81 root=/dev/nfs
ip=::::soekris:eth0 panic=5

this booted as:
[   23.612311] Kernel command line: panic=15 console=ttyS0,115200n81
root=/dev/nfs ip=::::soekris:eth0 panic=5
BOOT_IMAGE=vmlinuz-2.6.17-rc3-mm1-addhrt-sk

Note that the panic=15 came thru, and was appended to afterwards.
Is this intentional, another consequence of minimal string handling, or
other ?

Its perhaps what this doc-bit is alluding to:

APPEND options...
        Add one or more options to the kernel command line.  These are
        added both for automatic and manual boots.  The options are
        added at the very beginning of the kernel command line,
(especially this part)
        usually permitting explicitly entered kernel options to override
        them.  This is the equivalent of the LILO "append" option.

but maybe Im imagining it.

Also, while Im at it, this paragraph suggests that order of arg
processing matters
in the kernel.  Is there rule / default / unstated-standard wrt
last-one-wins, (ie panic=5)
(I looked in Doc/kernel-parameters)

> Also, APPEND doc should probably say that stanza-specific APPENDs
> dont append to global APPENDs, they overrride it.
> I'll write the docpatch if you like.
heres a -p0 patch FYC