[syslinux] Dialog Menu System ?

Tue Nov 14 14:17:23 PST 2006

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Darryl L. Miles wrote:
>> I would like to create a dialog menu system.  That offered a little
>> bit more than just select of what to boot.

>>  * The whole thing would be driven off TFTP which would load
>> instruction scripts via a TFTP server for the current dialog.  Some
>> minor modification might be made to the HPA TFTP server to allow CGI
>> like execution of a server side script that generates the content of
>> the file being "get".  Various environment variables would be passed
>> to the CGI script, for example the MAC addr, IP addresses, ports
>> numbers, etc...
>
> I've looked into this, and there turns out to be necessary to make a
> modification to the TFTP protocol to make this practical.  I have
> somewhere on my list of things to do to write an Internet Draft for this
> extension.

Would you care to elaborate on "to be necessary to make a modification
to the TFTP protocol" part ?

The basic TFTP protocol allows for a GET and PUT file operation.  My
vision of how it might work uses those operations if the file name is
earmarked at the server as a CGI the server sends data to the executable
or reads data from the executable.  A basic pipe mechanism would do the
trick, otherwise a run executable using a temporary file.

Simple is good.

Thanks

Darryl