[syslinux] syslinux files in subdirectories

Jeff Sadowski jeff_sadowski at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 16 11:22:21 PST 2006

I have syslinux booting slax off of a usb stick but in
the process I think I may have found a bug in syslinux
im using version syslinux-3.31 my syslinux.cfg use to
look as follows

<== beginning
display boot/splash.cfg
default slax autoexec=startx
prompt 1
timeout 40
F1 boot/splash.txt
F2 boot/splash2.txt
F3 boot/splash.cfg

label slax
kernel boot/vmlinuz
append vga=769 changes=slaxsave.dat max_loop=255
initrd=boot/initrd.gz init=linu
xrc load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=4444
root=/dev/ram0 rw

label linux
kernel boot/vmlinuz
append vga=769 changes=slaxsave.dat max_loop=255
initrd=boot/initrd.gz init=linu
xrc load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=4444
root=/dev/ram0 rw

label memtest
kernel boot/memtest
<== end

when syslinux came up it didn't display the image or
anything and when it tried to boot it tried to boot a
file called boot/vml.inu

I realized this is a 8.3 problem and the directory is
getting counted as part of the 8 this would be
slightly messed up using doses concat to filename as
well
dos 8.3 is something as follows
for really_long_filename.txt would be concated as
really~1.txt or something like that it depends hom
many files start with really... the number would
change.

I moved all the files in my boot directory to the root
of the drive and edited all the files accordingly and
it all worked fine.

So the question is as follows why couldn't syslinux
open files in directories?