[syslinux] Stuck at "Trying to Load: pxelinux.cfg/default"

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Nov 17 15:32:27 PST 2006

Fuller, Erik C wrote:
> I have several machines using this NIC...
>
> Using a text boot.msg works fine, but any c32 seems to fail.
>
> For the DP83815 I use Etherboot to chain load pxelinux (the same advise
> offered for the SIS900 NICs).  Vesamenu works fine this way.  I will
> also try 3.32-pre5 as hpa suggests.  I'd like to have this fixed also
> since having some machines use an etherboot zpxe file while the rest
> don't requires modification of dhcpd.conf anytime a new machine with
> DP83815 is used.

No, it doesn't.  You can set up classes based on the MAC address, which
are dependent on the vendor.

This is starting to surface on a few different cards now, and I'm
starting to think that it might be worthwhile to have a shim loader,
which detects the Ethernet card (based on MAC address, probably) and
downloads a second bootstrap using the PXE TFTP interface, which is
hopefully very similar to what the PXE stack does internally.