[syslinux] Mkdiskimage exits with syntax (maybe drive letter problem?)

Nazo nazosan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 03:47:55 PST 2006

On 7/5/06, Nazo <nazosan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have had a problem with mkdiskimage for quite a while.  It seems to
> always exit with the syntax messages.  I'm not really familiar enough
> with Perl to figure out exactly what it's checking for there that it
> determines is incorrect, but, my guess would have to be that it
> doesn't like the letter.  Eg, I think the last time it suceeded I was
> running it on sda, but, not I'm typically running it on sdb or even
> hdb.
>
> If I remove the "exit 1" command from line 110, then the program will
> continue and format the drive in as nearly as I can tell correct
> manner (at least it seemed to in my previous attempts.)
>
> Am I missing something, or is the check maybe not working 100% correctly?

Hi, I'm sorry for ressurecting such an old topic, but it seems this
problem still remains in the latest versions today (3.40-pre3 being
the latest I've tried so far.)  As before, simply deleting the "exit
1" after the syntax text causes it to correctly function and format
the drive as desired, thereby proving that something is going wrong in
the check for the "file" (drive location) variable but that the actual
variable itself must be set correctly considering that the script then
proceeds to complete the task if you prevent it from exiting after the
failed check.