[syslinux] Requested logical partition not found

Jason Vasquez jvasquez at kennesaw.edu
Mon Nov 27 14:39:53 PST 2006

Hi.  I need some help from the experts please.  I am experiencing a
syslinux error message and I cannot find much in the way of help or
reference from the documentation or the archives.  Using a USB hard
drive (as detailed below), I have three primary partitions and one
extended partition.

Disk /dev/sdb: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7296 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sdb1   *           1           8       64228+   b  W95 FAT32
/dev/sdb2               9          16       64260    b  W95 FAT32
/dev/sdb3              17          81      522112+   b  W95 FAT32
/dev/sdb4              82        7295    57946455    f  W95 Ext'd
(LBA)
/dev/sdb5              82         114      265041    b  W95 FAT32

The three primary partitions boot successfully, but when attempting to
boot from the logical partition I receive the following error:
"Requested logical partition not found".

Hmm.  I am using syslinux-3.31 and have even tried using
syslinux-3.32-pre7 (all from Windows, though), and still the same error
message.  I've partitioned the drive from both Windows XP Pro and from
the GParted-LiveCD-0.3.1-1 to compare the results.   Again, no change -
same error.  I have tried other OS instances on the logical partition to
no avail, so it should not be the content of the partition causing the
error.  Below is the syslinux.cfg file I am using.  Simply, I am doing
something wrong, no?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DEFAULT vesamenu.c32
PROMPT 0

MENU TITLE WD Passport Portable Multiboot
MENU BACKGROUND splash.png

LABEL Gparted
MENU LABEL ^GParted LiveUSB
KERNEL linux
APPEND noapic initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc
ramdisk_size=65000

LABEL grc.com
MENU LABEL ^SpinRite v6.0
KERNEL memdisk
APPEND initrd=SpinRite.img

LABEL ntpassword
MENU LABEL ^Offline NT Password & Registry Editor
KERNEL chain.c32
APPEND hd0 2

LABEL WipeDrive
MENU LABEL ^WipeDrive Pro