[syslinux] Chaining from PXELinux to some other boot loader

behrad at rayavaran.com behrad at rayavaran.com
Tue Nov 28 20:41:58 PST 2006

There are a few reasons, maybe there are solutions too:

When you load a floppy disk image (DOS), you have a few utilities, which makes it possible to do Pre-OS tasks. I couldn't find any solution by MemDisk DOS floppy images:

	1) PBOOT.exe: to continue booting to local disk from DOS (as a Pre-OS)
	2) BPPatch.exe: make it possible to patch a text file (a DOS Batch file) by DHCP and PXE environmental parameters.
	3) PXE and UNDI stacks are available in DOS and so you can use UNDI NDIS drivers and also tftp through PXE stack. It seems that it is not available in Memdisk loaded floppies.

PBOOT V2.01 - Pre-OS Local-Boot Utility
Copyright (c) 3Com Corporation 1998-2000. All rights reserved.
Usage: PBOOT [/?] [/nologo] [/pboot | /reboot | /shutdown]
    /?        - help
    /nologo   - turn off logo
    /pboot    - exit Pre-OS environment and boot from local media
    /reboot   - reboot system
    /shutdown - power off system

BOOTP Patch v1.6
(C) Copyright 1994-2000 Lanworks Technologies Co.
No file name specified.
 /v - verbose mode
 /s - show values
 /i - use space delimiter in IP numbers