[syslinux] pxelinux localboot enhancement

Constantine Gavrilov constg at qlusters.com
Wed Nov 29 07:38:22 PST 2006

pxelinux, when given a localboot=... option, will try to boot next bios
device itself.

The problem is it takes next BIOS device by BIOS order of enumeration.
That has no connection with the boot order defined in BIOS. Since a user
cannot control BIOS enumeration but can control the boot order, there is
no way one can force a desired next device for local boot with pxelinux.
In general, you even do not know what will happen.

Suppose I defined the BOOT order to Ethernet0, disk3, disk2, disk0.

BIOS enumerated devices as Ethernet0, etherne1, disk0, disk2, disk3.

At some point of time, I want to configure PXE to force a certain node
to do localboot. Oops, it will try ethrenet1 and not disk3 as I
specified in BIOS.

I think pxelinux is really missing localboot=-1 option of isolinux
(return failure to bios). This would solve a whole lot of problems that
users may encounter when specifying localboot= option.

How trivial is it to implement it?

Constantine Gavrilov
Kernel Developer
Qlusters Software Ltd