[syslinux] Chaining from PXELinux to some other boot loader

behrad at rayavaran.com behrad at rayavaran.com
Wed Nov 29 21:46:57 PST 2006

BPPATCH is something different. It run on DOS and patch a file with DHCP, PXE variables. You create a batch file like this:

@ECHO OFF
SET BPPcha=#@cha##########################
SET BPPsip=#@sip##########################

And RUN BPPatch File.bat and this converts to something like:

@ECHO OFF
SET BPPcha=000a0b0c0d0e
SET BPPsip=192.168.80.1

These are variables available in BPPatch:
6.1   Adapter-Specific Information
Tag     Field Name                  Description
----    -----------                 -----------
#@iop#  Adapter I/O address         The I/O address that the 3Com Managed PC
                                    Boot Agent used to access the network
                                    adapter card.
#@shm#  Adapter memory address      The network adapter RAM address used by the
                                    3Com Managed PC Boot Agent (not used on all
                                    network adapter cards).
#@typ#  3Com MBA type code          The 3Com Managed PC Boot Agent type code
                                    for the network adapter card (see the 3Com
                                    Managed PC Boot Agent User Guide for a list
                                    of type codes).
6.2   BOOTP RFC951 Fields
Tag     Field Name                  Description
----    -----------                 -----------
#@bfn#  Boot file name              The name of the boot image file that was
                                    initially downloaded by the ROM.
#@cha#  Client hardware address     The Ethernet hardware address for the
                                    network adapter card.
#@gip#  Gateway IP address
#@shn#  Server host name
#@sip#  Server IP address
#@yip#  "Your" IP address           The BOOTPTAB ip= field value.
6.3   RFC1048 Vendor Fields
In addition to the regular Carnegie Mellon University tags, in BOOTP
(rather than with DHCP server) environments, BPPATCH supports custom
RFC1048 user-defined fields (tag numbers 128-254).  To specify a
user-defined field within the boot image file, use the tag "#@t"
followed by the field number. For example, to specify user-defined field
129, the tag would be "#@t129####". In the BOOTPTAB file, user-defined
field 129 would have the tag "t129=", followed by the appropriate value
in quotations and a colon (for example, t129="ELNK3":).
Tag     Field Name                 Description
----    -----------                -----------
#@smf#    Subnet mask field        The BOOTPTAB sm= field value.
#@tof#    Time offset field        The BOOTPTAB to= field value.
#@chn#    Client host name field   The full name of the host, including both the
                                   host and domain names. This computer name is
                                   specified in the first field of the BOOTPTAB
                                   file.
#@cno#    Client host name only    The host name only, as specified in the first
                                   field of the BOOTPTAB file.
#@cdo#    Client domain name only  The domain name only, as specified in the
                                   first field of the BOOTPTAB file.
#@gw?#    Gateway IP address*      The BOOTPTAB gw= field value.
#@ts?#    Time server IP address*  The BOOTPTAB ts= field value.
#@ns?#    Name server IP address*  The BOOTPTAB ns= field value.
#@ds?#    Domain name server IP*   The BOOTPTAB ds= field value.
#@lg?#    Log server IP address*   The BOOTPTAB lg= field value.
#@cs?#    Cookie server IP*        The BOOTPTAB cs= field value.
#@lp?#    LRP server IP address*   The BOOTPTAB lp= field value.
#@im?#    Impress server IP*       The BOOTPTAB im= field value.
#@rl?#    RLP server IP address*   The BOOTPTAB rl= field value.
#@txxx#   User-defined number xxx  The RFC1048 custom vendor tag and value
                                   can range from 128-254. (Refer to the above
                                   paragraph for more information).