[syslinux] MEMDISK reset computer with NW Client32

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Oct 3 12:25:12 PDT 2006

Petr Olivka wrote:
> Hi!
>
>   I have problem with MEMDISK, because when I load modules in NW Client32
> using NIOS.EXE commands, computer is restarted :-( Not everytime, but
> manytimes.
>
>   The problem is with MSDOS 5.0, 6.22 and FreeDOS too.
>
>   But when I create in DOS another RAMDISK and copy all data from MEMDISK
> to new RAMDISK and change settings and PATH to new ramdisk, all work fine.
> Directly from floppy or from HD all work fine too. But two ramdisk is not
> good situation.
>
>   Does anybody have some experiences, how to debug this problem? I hope, i
> will be certainly some little error in asm.

The best way I've found to debug these classes of programs is to load it
in a simulator like Bochs and Qemu, and reproduce the bug there.  Then
you have full visibility.

If it *doesn't* reproduce there, then you at least know it's a
hardware-specific thing.  Then I've had some limited success tracing
through the program under Turbo Debugger (a DOS debugger from Borland),
since you can get DOS up and running at least.