[syslinux] Boot image from hard drive from syslinux initiated by a floppy disk boot

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Wed Oct 4 12:32:58 PDT 2006

mailbox.t schreef:
> I have a syslinux boot floppy which loads to the boot prompt, I wish to
> load a .gz image which is on my hd0 0 by using memdisk as the kernel. I
> have tried to kernel memdisk append root=/dev/hd0  0 (also just using
> /hd0) initrd=mini.gz and   kernel memdisk initrd=/dev/hd0 0/mini.gz and
> a multitude of other things to try to accomplish this. But each time it
> responds "mini.gz cannot be found.
> hd0 0 loads fine using chain.c32 from the floppy

Syslinux flavours only seem to support a boot image coming from the same
bootdevice.
Booting from a burned CD with a testing disk-image located on diskette
for example could be worthwile,
saves you creating a new ISO (or even CD).

Something like:
kernel isolinux/memdisk
append initrd=(fd0)/fdboot.img

Bernd