[syslinux] MEMDISK reset computer with NW Client32

Petr Olivka petr.olivka at vsb.cz
Tue Oct 3 12:20:50 PDT 2006

> Hi Petr,
>
>   It sounds like you might be using the standard Microsoft (tm) ramdisk.sys's with NetWare Client 32 to logon from DOS?  I would suggest trying Franck Uberto's excellent XMSDSK.EXE instead and seeing if that helps you with your problem:

:-) I am using XMSDSK and work fine. And with RAMDRIVE.SYS all work fine
too. Problem is only with MEMDISK, if client32 is loaded from drive
emulated by MEMDISK.

>   http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/4825.html  (I would suggest downloading from here)
>   http://www.geocities.com/politalk/rmdrv/fu_rd19i.htm  (this provides a useful file list)
>
>   From what you have described it sounds like your problem may be with the DOS NW client over-writing something else in memory.  I would look into this by booting without loading the NW client and typing the DOS command "mem/d | more" to see where the address of the ramdisk is going.  Then check your net.cfg etc to see if you are loading your VLM's etc into memory areas already used by the ramdisk or memdisk etc.
>
>   Tip: you can also visually see what is located where in "low" DOS memory by using ramspy:  http://www.programmersheaven.com/download/15858/download.aspx

And now I do not exactly understand to you. I do not have VLM modules, I
have  client32 with NIOS.EXE, because we have clean IP environment.
And MEMDISK is not visible, because is loaded before MSDOS in memory under
videoram, some kilobytes under A000:0 and mem can't display it.

poli