[syslinux] moving Kernel and initrd to subdir?

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Oct 9 20:35:33 PDT 2006

Sven Geggus wrote:
> Dear syslinux users,
>
> I am trying to move Kernel and initrd images away from the root directory of
> my bootable Partition.
>
> Looks like this is not possible. While it seems to work with pxelinux, it
> does not seem to work when using syslinux and FAT.
>
> I tried the following:
>
> label foo
>   kernel /boot/vmlinuz
>   append initrd=/boot/initrd
>
> Ideally it would be even possible to move syslinux.cfg into /boot

This is not currently supported under SYSLINUX; it's supported under
extlinux, however.

With some of the recent changes to SYSLINUX for FAT32 support, it's
probably not too hard to add subdirectory support, but I don't know when
I will have time to do it.  Unfortunately things are more than just busy
for me right now; it's downright insane.