[syslinux] Pxelinux - gpxe problem.

Santosh Raghuram santosh.raghuram at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 20:49:01 PDT 2006

Hey,

It is some real awesome work you are doing. Thanks.

I have been trying to use gpxe - pxelinux to boot Linux from a remote
location.

It works with pxelinux 2.02 and lower. However pxelinux 2.03 and higher
return errors and booting is incomplete. Why?

syslinux-3.00 gives the following dump and hence the system does not boot.

Failed to free base memory, error FF01-027E-9F6B040E

I have tried finding the cause of this error, to no avail. The syslinux
website states:
"A fair number of PXE implementations has problems with releasing base
memory once booting is complete. This should not affect you if you're
running Linux, but other operating systems, such as DOS under MEMDISK, may
have less memory available than they should. PXELINUX 1.65 or higher will
display a message:

Failed to free base memory, sorry...

... when that happens. It should not cause problems other than the loss of
some memory; usually about 64K worth. PXELINUX 2.03 or later will display an
error code in conjunction with the message; reporting that error code might
assist in identifying the location of the problem."

I would hence like to report the error, :).

Your help would be invaluable.

Thanks,
Santosh.