[syslinux] Loading syslinux native from a USB HDD

P.J. Dickson pauljohn at cogeco.ca
Wed Oct 18 15:15:29 PDT 2006

Hi there guys!

I want to set up Puppy-Linux to run off a 2GB USB key-drive in native
mode (I.e. not as a virtual machine, which I'm finding runs too slow on
my system, under XP.)

To test it out, I want to run off a 150GB USB HDD.  Now this drive is
NTFS formatted and way bigger than the 1GB file structure limit that I
read about in the Syslinux documentation.  There's only one partition on
the USB HDD at the moment.  I've copied in the Puppy-Linux files
(including syslinux.com) and I told the BIOS to boot from the USB.  It
seems to go there but nothing happens, it just hangs.

What have I got to do to make this beast run?

Many thanks to anyone who can take the time to give me a few lines of
advice.

Paul