[syslinux] Is it possible to chainload EXTLINUX from GRUB?

Gavin D. Smith gds24 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Oct 18 15:34:00 PDT 2006

H. Peter Anvin wrote:

>Gavin D. Smith wrote:
>> I have just tried placing EXTLINUX on a primary partition and indeed I
>> successfully chainloaded it. However this doesn't seem to work when I
>> put it on a logical partition. Is there a reason why there might be a
>> difference between the two types?
>
>Not if the chainloading code is written properly.  Chainloading onto a
>logical partition means you have to load not the MBR but the pseudo-MBR
>containing the logical partition in question at address 0x600 and point
>DS:SI to it.
>
>Sounds like a Grub problem to me.
>
>	-hpa

To see if Grub has a problem chainloading onto a logical partition I tried
installing GRUB onto the logical partition, and it was successfully loaded.
I also tried LILO on the logical partition, and it also was successfully
loaded. However trying extlinux I got the same "Boot error" message as
before. This may be because of a slight difference in my installing methods
that I have overlooked, but I don't know what that might be. I know that
the syslinux loader is loaded because "Boot error" is a message in that
loader. So you say this message is due to some registers not being set
correctly? Would there be a way of seeing what the registers contain so I
can tell if they're right or not? I don't have many more ideas of things to
try.

Gavin Smith