[syslinux] Fwd: Loading syslinux native from a USB HDD

Josh Lehan jlehan at scyld.com
Wed Oct 18 18:59:32 PDT 2006

Nazo wrote:
> In the end, running linux off of a flashdrive is pretty simple stuff.
> Syslinux can easily handle getting the kernel and initrd off of there.
>  I keep a 512MB Cruzer Micro in my pocket which has my favorite linux
> rescue disc distro, a stripped down minimal distro that only can run
> Prime95, and a few other tools, and I have never had any troubles with
> it and syslinux either.  There is one problem you have to deal with
> though with most live distros.  Many live distros won't necessarily be
> configured to be able to run from a flash drive.  They must be able to
> load up the USB module during the early startup (often requires a
> command line setting to tell them to do so) and other such things,
> then they have to be able to look even at USB devices to find their
> filesystem image.

As for booting Linux from USB flashdrives, I made some instructions for
getting Knoppix to work nicely.

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bootable_USB_Key

Knoppix has great USB detection when it boots up, and has always found
itself correctly on all the computers I could find that would boot from USB.

Josh