[syslinux] ethereal log of PXE bootup

Ed Sutter esutter at lucent.com
Thu Oct 19 13:23:03 PDT 2006

>>> Options 208-211 are only for PXELINUX' benefit; most configurations
>>> don't need them.  The key thing is to have a filename option set.
>>> Note that many clients will not correctly parse a DHCP packet which
>>> uses "overloading", so I recommend against that.
>>

>> Yea, after reading a bit through the spec (should've done that before I
>> started asking questions!!), I see that I needed other Vendor Supplied
>> options.  I have them set up, and my client is responding appropriately.
>> Now I have to get TSIZE/OACK into my TFTP server.
>> Thanks!
>> Ed
>

> Actually, the vast majority of all stacks do not need any Vendor
> Encapsulated Options.

Ok, then I'm totally confused (not unusual).
According to section 2.3 of the pxespec I grabbed from Intel, VSO #6 (PXE_DISCOVERY_CONTROL)
has bits that I can set to tell the client to just pull down the file specified by the
BOOTFILE entry of normal DHCP.  I tried that and it seemed to work.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks
Ed