[syslinux] PXE booting Dell diagnostics

Berthold Cogel cogel at rrz.uni-koeln.de
Fri Oct 20 04:13:49 PDT 2006

Hello!

I like to PXE boot the 'Dell 32 Bit Diagnostics' tool. I can create a
harddisk image with the linux download package. The README of the
Package gives an example how to create an memdisk entry for the pxelinux
menu system:

<quote>

Create a Bootable HDD Image File

Use of the resulting image to perform a Preboot Execution Environment
(PXE) boot into the diagnostics requires additional software and
network infrastructure including a TFTP server, a DHCP server, and a
bootloader capable of network booting. Specific instructions about how
to how to do so on your network are beyond the scope of this readme file;
however, a high-level overview of the steps to set this up using the
pxelinux bootloader is described below. Consult your documentation or
contact your local network administrator for additional
information.

The "default" configuration file.

DEFAULT test

LABEL test
	kernel memdisk
	append initrd=ddtest.img

EXAMPLE output from a HD image build

   [user at localhost tmp]$ sudo ./DDDP.sh

   ---------- Dell Diagnostic Delivery Package -----------
   --------   Copyright (c) 2005-2006 Dell Inc.   --------

   Creating temporary install directory /tmp/DDDP.
     Directory /tmp/DDDP exists
   View the README file? (y/n) n
   Select device type to build (C=CD, U=USB Flash, H=Hard Drive, F=Floppy) h
    ----> Build type selected is "HDD"
   Enter image output filename [/tmp/diags.img]
   Building image file /tmp/diags.img
   Image file /tmp/diags.img for media type HDD, build complete
   ======> Hard drive image in file "/tmp/diags.img"
   [user at localhost tmp]$

KNOWN ISSUES

Currently, root access is required to create the bootable HDD image
files and to write the images to the devices.

</quote>

I've copied the files to the appropriate positions and created this entry:

LABEL diag32
	MENU LABEL Dell Diagnostics
	KERNEL memdisk
	APPEND initrd=tests/diags.img

But it doesn't work as expected. All I get during the boot is:

Could not find ramdisk image: tests/diags.img
boot:

And then the menu executes the default entry after a timeout.

My suspicion is that I have to modify the image somehow, because I can
boot a DOS disk image and other tools (memdisk, ...) without a problem.
But I haven't found a clue in the mailinglist archive until now.

I'm using syslinux-3.31 from kernel.org.

Regards
Berthold Cogel