[syslinux] syslinux failed to boot on external USB (epia 800 board)

Fabrice LORRAIN ossfab at free.fr
Sun Oct 22 10:20:29 PDT 2006

(I canceled previous mail sent with wrong address).

Hello all,

I just report a bug against syslinux in the debian bug reporting system
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=394700)

Here is a cut and past of it :

---
Package: installation-reports
severity: normal

[cc-ing syslinux at zytor.com]

Hello all,

I just gave a go at the last version of debian-installer (etch) on an
epia 800 box and the cdrom failed to boot through an external USB cdrom
player.

The media used is the netinst iso has been grabed at
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/i386/iso-cd.
This iso is dated : 20061021.

What I got on the screen is the following :

isolinux: Found something at drive =B3
isolinux: Found something at drive =B2
<..cut...>
isolinux: Found something at drive =AF
isolinux: Found something at drive =AE
<...cut...>
isolinux: Found something at drive =A0
isolinux: Found something at drive =9F
isolinux: Image checksum error, sorry...

Boot failed: press a key to retry...

As I was pretty sure to have booted some linuxcdrom on this box in the
past, I played a bit with my stack of cds and here are my finding :

Any cd using a version of isolinux anterior to 2.00 is booting
(ZoneCD-1.2-7 which is using isolinux 2.0.0: 2002-10-25, is the last
booting cdrom I have).

debian-sarge cdrom is not booting (ISOLINUX 2.04 2003-04-16) and neither
does any cdrom using a version of syslinux > 2.04 (incuded the 3.x branch).

@+,
      Fab
----