[syslinux] EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock (software RAID1)

ng2 at summerdale.co.uk ng2 at summerdale.co.uk
Mon Oct 23 12:20:25 PDT 2006

Dear List,

I have used a utility called partimage to transfer data from a fully
working system to similar, but not identical hardware. The system has a
software RAID1, running RedHat EL3, kernel 2.4.21.

I have recreated my ramdisk in a chrooted rescue environment.

On boot, I see the grub menu, but it promptly fails with this:

EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock
mount: error 22 mounting ext3
pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot, /sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
umount /initrd/proc failed: 2
kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to the kernel.

Now - If I boot into resuce mode, edit my /etc/fstab to comment out the
top line, so it reads:
# /dev/md0   /   ext3   defaults   1 1
/dev/hda1   /   ext3   defaults   1 1

And change my grub.conf accordingly, so the root=/dev/hda1

In this case, the system will boot fine, obviously without RAID support.

What can I do to re-enable RAID?

Thanks for any feedback.

Chris