[syslinux] Is it possible to chainload EXTLINUX from GRUB?

Gavin D. Smith gds24 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Oct 24 15:08:21 PDT 2006

>You're assuming that just because GRUB and LILO can be loaded that it is
>all done correctly.  GRUB and LILO might not rely on, for example, the
>DS:SI pointer (given their design methodology I would almost assume they
>don't.)
>
>For debugging, I would run this in an simulator and set a breakpoint at
>0:7C00h.  This will be hit several times, one of which will be EXTLINUX
>entry; at this point examine the registers, and the memory pointed to by
>DS:SI (16 bytes) and ES:DI (64 bytes or so.)
>
>	-hpa

Well I finally managed to create a disk image for use in a simulator and
have managed to recreate the behaviour. I can indeed view these registers,
however I don't know how to interpret these registers or the memory to
which they point. If I knew what they were meant to contain then I would
know that GRUB was at fault and could complain to them. I can send terminal
logs to this list to show the contents of these registers if that would be
helpful.

Gavin Smith