[syslinux] Using the cat.c32 sample as a functional equivalent to the FN keys in vesa mode

David W. Koeller dwkoeller at ourmaildrop.net
Wed Oct 25 09:06:13 PDT 2006

I have been hacking around with the new vesa boot menus and I had a
couple questions.

Do you currently have a method to set the SHADOWING options that are
coded in menumain.c from within the menu config file?  I saw something
in readconfig that looked like you were parsing single characters to map
to SHADOW_NONE, etc. constants for these parameters, but I did not
follow it.  The default shadowing looked horrible on a white background
image I was using.  I managed to turn it off by recompiling the
menumain.c with different color schemes.

I have modified the cat.c32 sample under com32 to invoke a vesa console
video mode and set the color table accordingly based on code from
menumain.c.  This can then be called from within vesamenu.c32 to cat a
file containing the help text for optional kernel parameters that could
be passed at the command prompt.  I would really like to add the
equivalent of a boot: prompt at the bottom of this code in the context
of vesa so it behaves similar to the traditional FN keys with .msg
files.  I currently just issue a get_key call at the end of the cat.c
file and inform the user to hit a key to get the boot: prompt which
works.  The only drawback is that the help is now gone when they go to
type since we are back in a different video mode.

On the same note, is there a return code or call sequence I can invoke
from within cat.c to reload the default calling vesamenu.c32 if the user
choses the cat.c32 help and then wants to return to the main menu
without first hitting enter through the boot: parameter?

All in all, the new vesa menus are pretty awesome looking.  Great work.

Dave