[syslinux] SYSLINUX 3.30-pre1 released

Pat Suwalski pat at suwalski.net
Mon Sep 4 17:49:33 PDT 2006

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> It's too bad that all the major graphics card vendors are dropping
>> VESA support from their chips. :(
>
> Do you have more info on that?

I don't have a URL, if that's what you mean. But, at work, when playing
with using VESA framebuffers for our splash screen, when testing on the
rather large inventory of hardware we have, we saw trends forming.

1) No new nVidia card seems to support VESA
2) Some of the ATI PCIe do funny things with palettes. I suspect this
   means deprecation/neglect.
3) Talking with folks at Intel about the new modesetting branch of the
   i810 driver, it seems pretty clear that they're removing the legacy
   BIOS calls in upcoming chipsets. AFAIK, these are required for VESA.

So, VESA's future looks grim. :(

--Pat