[syslinux] USB key: CBIOS line printed, nothing else

Josh Lehan jlehan at scyld.com
Tue Sep 5 18:43:27 PDT 2006

Gustavo Guillermo Pérez wrote:
> Wrong, I use to boot with extlinux or syslinux, and always got a proper boot
> prompt with a working cmdline, may be you do not make a configuration file,

I reused the Knoppix configuration file.  It is SYSLINUX.CFG, and is
properly installed on the root directory of the USB key.

As I said, this USB key *works* for booting, in almost all other PC's
that I have tried.

It's just this one particular PC that brings out a strange failure mode
in which I'm dumped to the CBIOS prompt.  All other PC's either refuse
to recognize the USB key at all, or boot completely just fine into Knoppix.

> and may be you are coping the isolinux.cfg file from cdrom, that is not the
> same. Working on almost every usb stick, and usb-storage bridges....

Like I said, it has been working fine for me on other computers.  So, I
know it's not a problem with the configuration file or any other file.
If I had made a mistake there, it wouldn't boot up at all.

What determines whether or not SYSLINUX goes to the CBIOS or EBIOS
prompt?  I noticed two choices in the code.

Josh