[syslinux] USB key: CBIOS line printed, nothing else

Rory Vieira rory.vieira at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 00:23:06 PDT 2006

Josh,

I came to a similar problem with ONE specific machine.
I found out that when your bios claims the USB key is a floppy drive
you NEED to format it with FAT16. When it's a harddrive, I can get
away with FAT32...

I do have to admit that I never saw that CBIOS prompt at all.
I do however get the message that the kernel "Linux" could not be
found, when the key is FAT32 and detected as floppy (the bios has no
other option for me).

On my own system the key works flawlessly, as it's detected as a hdd...

PS: I recreated my own usb key with FAT16, and those problems disappeared...
Hope this helps...

Cheers,
--
Rory Vieira