[syslinux] USB key: CBIOS line printed, nothing else

Josh Lehan jlehan at scyld.com
Wed Sep 6 16:04:54 PDT 2006

Rory Vieira wrote:
> My own system has three: USB-FDD, USB-ZIP and USB-HDD.
> The first is definatly different to the others when I'm using my usb key...
> On my test system I have NO options at all, but I can clearly see it's
> being used as a floppy.

Nice.  There's a lot of differences between floppies and "fixed disks",
in the BIOS.  Among other things, the device number is 0x00 instead of
0x80, and there's a different API for accessing it.  In USB-FDD mode,
the BIOS might also expect the USB key to be in superfloppy format (no
partition table or MBR, just one big filesystem across the entire disk
surface).

On this particular machine, my BIOS just gives me the choice between
USB-ZIP and USB-HDD.  On 3 other systems I have access to, 2 of them
don't give me any choice of USB modes at all, but they all do recognize
the USB key and let me choose it as a bootable choice, and work fine.
The third system doesn't support USB booting at all :(

> My apologies for not being clear... all systems I have used my key on,
> show EBIOS... again, my excuses for the mishaps

I'm guessing USB booting support in this particular BIOS that fails to
boot, is half-baked.  It shows CBIOS.  As for the others, they flash by
too fast for me to see if they are CBIOS or EBIOS....

> I have to be honest that I haven't got a clue... I simply format the
> disk using wxp

Do you use the HP USB key formatter utility?  Some people report a
difference (good or bad), in the way it lays out the MBR and partition
table.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/serveroptions/us/locate/69_6073.html

> Examples of my situations:
> A: Using FAT32 with sysresccd on key properly installed... (kinda like
> knoppix)
> Works on personal system
> Works on company server
> It shows EBIOS, and No Linux Found on test system
>
> B: Using FAT16, content is the same...
> Works on all systems without a glitch

Interesting.  FAT16 just might be the answer, then.  When I get a new
USB key, I'll try that.

Josh