[syslinux] syslinux: cannot open ldlinux.sys

Eric Wightman eric at eriemrdd.org
Thu Sep 7 07:39:43 PDT 2006

I searched the archive and found where some one posted this same issue, but
as far as I can tell it was unresolved.

I am trying to turn old Windows computers into thin clients using Thin
Station 2.1.3 prebuilt cd.  It works great using a cd-rom and floppy disk.
I am trying to follow the very brief and vague directions to install it on a
hard drive.  Thin Station says to use syslinux to make the hard drive
bootable.

I used an old win98 start up floppy disk to Fdisk the hard.  I set up a
500mb active partition.  I formatted the hard drive with the /s command so
it would be a boot disk.  I did the copybs c: c:\dos.bss command and that
worked.  But when I ran the syslinux command I get the following error
message "syslinux: cannot open ldlinux.sys".

Originally I was running the syslinux command off of a cd, I just burn the
entire syslinux-3.10 folder over.  After trying to understand the
documentation, I created a simple dos boot floppy and copied over just the
ldlinux files and the dos folder, booted from that floppy and tried to run
it, same problem.

Any help would be appreciated, I am not very familiar with Linux.